The Senior Database Engineer creates technically superior system designs that meet requirements while accommodating future needs without sacrificing ease of implementation. The designs are balanced in pragmatism and elegance by originating and owning innovative solutions to complex technical problems, and showing commitment to the seriousness for which you associate with your work, and the discretion used in dealing with problems and issues. This role reports to the Manager, Database Technology.
- Deliver quality project deliverables in engineering, support and/or consultation to other teams.
- Identifies and leads the setting and exercising of data management standards and procedures for effective DBMS utilization and security.
- Maintain top quality technical skills in a broad range of DBMSs, products, utilities, protocols, and techniques.
- Provide highly responsive engagement for 24 x 7 support on premise and while in rotating on-call schedules.
Essential Position Duties:
- Identify and recommend solutions for opportunities to improve efficiency and effectiveness through understanding internal processes and procedures.
- Work shows commitment to the seriousness for which you associate with your work, and the discretion used in dealing with problems and issues.
- Coach and mentor other team members.
- Act as lead for complex problem resolution.
- Ensure that system design complies with policies, standards, and principals.
- Fulfills ad hoc query and report requests from other departments.
- Monitors systems and subsystems in all environments, and proactively addresses issues.
- Effectively and professionally communicates with supervisor and other team members.
- Work closely with team members to formalize great ideas and assist each other.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science is preferred
- Six or more (6+) years of or RDBMS logical and physical system design using contemporary versions of Microsoft SQL Server
- Six or more (6+) years of database performance tuning, including using DMVs, indexing, query optimization, Perfmon, etc.
- Six or more (6+) years of SQL and related scripting
- Six or more (6+) years of DBMS hardware knowledge with good understanding of memory, CPU, SAN, RAID, I/O, SSD, and other capacity related components
- One or more (1+) years of Database Mirroring, Log Shipping, FCI clusters, AlwaysOn, and Transactional/Peer-to-Peer Replication on SQL Server 2008 or later
- Two or more (2+) years of SSIS development
- Broad experience with all elements of database construction in a web environment including server environments, back-end integration, and end-user constraints
- Direct experience with other elements of database development such as requirements gathering, scripting, testing and documentation
- Experience architecting and building highly available, scalable, high volume, large scale, data-intensive, distributed systems
Skills and Knowledge:
- Vast knowledge of SQL Server internals
- Excellent visual, written, and verbal communicator and the ability to intuitively put ideas into tangible form
- Excellent systems architect and design skills
- Excellent understanding of the Windows operating system and Microsoft Clustering
- Ability to create or review architecture and specification documents ensuring database security, integrity, and performance
- Entrenched skill in designing highly effective databases and developing highly optimized code and processes
- Possess the ability to learn how applications work by analyzing schema, querying data, and reviewing SQL code
- Demonstrated ability in supporting a software/database product through the entire development life cycle
- Must have an intuitive ability to quickly analyze third party products
- Accountable team player with efficiency and professional attitude to accomplish projects and tasks
- Ability to become the expert on a specific domain of technology and provide technical consultation to other team members
- Must be able to maintain professionalism and be graceful in the handling of work in a very fast-paced, dynamic environment where priorities and tasks constantly change
- Exposure to developing server side software in large teams
Optional Skills & Knowledge:
- Client/Server, multi-tier, and cloud architecture and design
- SQL Server InMemory OLTP
- PowerShell, Windows Command Line
- Perforce, Jira, Confluence