Why Nearshore Software Development Outsourcing to Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is the ideal country for a nearshore development facility because of a number of reasons. These include language and cultural compatibility, time zone, quality consciousness, availability of infrastructure, political stability and cost.
Not only is it located within a 3 hour flight from the United States, it’s also located on the Central Time Zone (GMT – 6:00), which allows better interaction with companies in the United States.
Costa Rica has a Free Trade Agreement with the United States and Costa Rica is a member of the World Trade Organization and the Central America Common Market, and has investment treaties with Switzerland, Great Britain, France, Germany, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic.
Costa Rica has invested significantly in the telecommunication infrastructure over the past few years and the country now has the following infrastructure in place.
- Satellite and microwave connections
- Redundant fiber optics network
- Point to point connections
- Direct worldwide fiber optic access through Maya 1 & Arcos cables
The educational system is ranked 20st in the world, the highest in Latin America, according to the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness Report 2013-2014. There also a number of reputed technical universities graduating students in software engineering and related areas.
The country has a strong legal system that manages the ‘Judicial Power’, which ensures law compliance and covers nationals, as well as foreigners within the country’s territory.
The 2012 World Bank Study for Global Governance Indicators ranks Costa Rica in the second place within Latin America for political stability.
Other facts about Costa Rica
- Area: 51,100 sq. Km
- Population: 4.7 million
- Labor force: 2.21 million
- Capital: San Jose
- Main languages: Spanish (official), English
- Currency: Costa Rican Colon
- Time zone: GMT-6 (US Central Standard Time)
Costa Rica has nice weather all year round. The average temperature range in San Jose goes from 14 to 24°C (57 to 75°F) in December, and from 17 a 27°C (63 to 81°F) in May.
The average in the Caribbean Coast is 21°C (70°F) at night and over 30°C (86 ° F) during the day. The Pacific Coast is warmer than the Caribbean, but less humid.
- Costa Rica ranks 12th globally and 1st among Latin American Countries in Social Progress. (Social Progress Imperative, Social Progress Index, 2013).
- According to The Economist Intelligence Unit, San Jose is ranked as the 4th city in Latin America with the best quality of life.
- Regarding gender equality, Costa Rica ranks 1st among Latin American countries in the Global Gender Index. (World Economic Forum, The Gender Gap report, 2013)
Related article: Why Choosing EX² Outcoding as your software development partner?